Hair serum happens to be a top hair care and styling product when it comes to black hair. African-American hair is typically extremely curly, which tends to become frizzy very easily. This hair type is very curly and usually has a tendency to become very dry. This is due to the oil that originates from the scalp gets drawn from due to a “wick like” effect. With straight hair, these oils are drawn easily into the hair. However, when it comes to curly hair, the oil from the scalp does not transfer easily into the hair.
What this means for black hair is that additional care is needed to ensure that it maintains optimum health. Making sure your hair is clean as well as moisturized at all times is essential. To achieve this there are a host of hair care products such as leave-in conditioners, conditioners, hair masks, clarifying shampoos as well as hair serums.
Anti-Frizz Serums For Curly Black Hair
Hair serums are basically a silicon oil that are usually non-sticky, which makes it a safe caring and styling hair product. In addition, the hair serums are usually in a concentrated form which means that just a couple of drops is more than enough to cover all your hair.
The best way to use a hair serum is to apply the product to damp or wet hair after shampooing. This is the type of product that also works well on dry-hair. When applying the product drop a few drops into your hand and rub the serum between your palms. Now spread the serum evenly over your hair for silky, shiny and soft hair.
The Best Hair Serums For Black Hair
One of the popular and best rated serum designed for African-American hair would be John Freida Frizz-Ease Hair Serum. This is one of the best serums to use for coarse and frizzy hair and is also rated as one of the better straightening serums because it also works on processed hair. This product repels moisture which stops the hair from becoming frizzy due to humidity.
Other popular hair serums that can be used daily include TIGI Bed Head Control Freak Serum and Treasured Locks H2G Hair Growth Serum. These are great anti-frizz serum that deliver effective results for frizzy and coarse hair. Keep in mind that apart from a good serum you should be using additional hair products that are designed for use on African-American hair.
Hair Care Products And Tips
To keep your hair in the best condition, you should be using products that are specific for your hair type. Here are a few tips on the best products and practices for black hair:
- Use a clarifying shampoo and make sure you wash your hair a minimum of once weekly. Ideally, you should be washing your hair 2 to 3 times weekly to maintain clean hair and a clean scalp.
- Every now and again use vinegar in your rinsing water to keep your hair clean and light.
- Make sure you use a cream based conditioner and avoid the oily conditioners
- Once weekly you should use a deep-conditioning treatment. A home-made treatment includes 1-part raw egg, 1-part olive oil and 1-part mayonnaise, mix these ingredients together and apply the contents to your scalp and hair. Leave the treatment on for 20 minutes. Make sure you rinse your hair well with a good shampoo.
- Always rinse your hair with cold water to lock in the moisture.
- After washing your hair, apply your favorite hair serum.
- You may want to consider braids for the days where your hair becomes frizzy due to the weather.
- Keeping your hair in braids when you go to sleep at night, can also help to prevent unnecessary frizz
- Black hair is often difficult to keep under control and many ladies make the mistake of trying out harsh styling methods at home or at the salon. However, this needs to be avoided to prevent over-processing the hair which can result in hair loss. It is also advisable to stick to the braided and Afro styles.
It is also advisable to choose you hair-care products with care in order to tame your frizz. You may need to experiment with more than one product before you find the products that work well on your hair type. You may want to incorporate a hair-care regime that includes a hot-oil massage that you use at night before you go to bed and then wash it out with a mild clarifying shampoo when you wake up in the morning. After every time you wash your hair with shampoo, dry your hair with a towel and apply your hair serum. Try and use mild products that contain less or no chemicals.