Lemongrass is widely used in the kitchen to flavor the dishes, and its oil is used to relieve joint pain. But other than medicinal properties, Lemongrass oil boasts a number of benefits for your body, skin, and hair too.
This essential oil is a tested natural ingredient for hair that greatly helps in hair growth and dandruff problem. Although its benefits are immense, making this oil is simple and easy.
So, if you are looking for the lemongrass oil recipe and its uses, keep on reading to find out the DIY recipe to make lemongrass oil at home and its different uses for hair.
- 1 How to make Lemongrass oil at Home?
- 2 Lemongrass Oil Extraction Process
- 3 Extracting Lemongrass Essential Oil at Home: DIY
- 4 How to Use Lemongrass Oil for Hair?
- 5 Conclusion
How to make Lemongrass oil at Home?
Only a few stalks of lemongrass is enough for yielding a good amount of lemongrass oil that would last for a while. Moreover, the extraction process is simple with very less preparation time.
If you don’t have lemongrass in your backyard, you can easily find it in your local grocery store. Or you can also make lemongrass oil using dried lemongrass.
Lemongrass Oil Extraction Process
Most of the lemongrass oil that are available in the market is obtained through the process of steam distillation. This is the most common process of extraction, especially for extracting plant-based elements because it requires very low temperature, thus keeping the properties intact.
Extracting Lemongrass Essential Oil at Home: DIY
- Fresh lemongrass stalks (around 6-8) or dried lemongrass (a handful is enough)
- One mortar and pestle for crushing. You can also take a rolling pin, in case you don’t have mortar and pestle available with you.
- Sweet almond oil, jojoba oil or grape seed oil. Also, you can use any carrier oil of your choice for the scalp.
- An air-tight jar of medium size.
- Take out the leaves from the stalks of lemongrass and chop the fresh stalks into small pieces.
- Now spread the chopped pieces on a tray and allow them to sun-dry naturally.
- Then crush the dried pieces of stalks using mortar and pestle. And transfer this crushed stalk powder into an air-tight glass jar.
- Take your preferred carrier oil and heat it up but don’t boil. Now pour the warm carrier oil into the same glass jar with lemongrass.
- Keep it aside, allowing it to set. Place it in window-side for 3 days where it can get a little sunlight at least for some time during the day. This will help to infuse the oil better.
- Strain the oil using a mesh strainer or cheesecloth. And discard the crushed leaves.
- Finally, your lemongrass essential oil is ready to use. Store the clear and strained oil in a cool and dry place. You can use it for a year without losing its potency.
Here are some important guidelines for storing and using:
- Keep the oil in a dark bottle to protect it from any type of light. In most recipes, a bottle of two-ounce capacity should be enough to store the oil.
- After mixing the oils, always label your bottle mentioning the date, ingredients and its intended usage.
- Always store the bottle in a cool place either in the refrigerator or at room temperature away from heat and light.
- Make sure to cap the bottle immediately after so that its composition doesn’t get affected by oxygen or air.
- Shake the bottle well before every use so that the oils combine evenly.
Note – It’s important to note here that lemongrass oil should not be used alone without diluting it. As undiluted lemongrass oil can cause discomfort and burning. So, before using always dilute it with your preferred carrier oil like coconut oil, almond oil, or sesame oil. Or you can also mix it without shampoo and apply it to the scalp.
How to Use Lemongrass Oil for Hair?
If you are facing any hair or scalp issues such as dandruff or if simply you want to promote your hair growth, then a few drops of lemongrass oil mixed with your shampoo or hair oil can do the work. Not only it has an amazing fragrance but also it keeps hair problems at bay.
Using Lemongrass oil for hair growth
Lemongrass oil controls hair fall by strengthening your hair follicles. You can try out the recipes given below for better hair growth, hair nourishment, dandruff control and to soothe your dry and itchy scalp.
- Dandruff Control
To effectively remove dandruff from your hair, take a dollop of your favorite shampoo and add 2-3 drops of lemongrass essential oil into it. And shampoo your hair using this mix. For best results, you can massage this mixture daily into your scalp. With regular use of lemongrass oil, you can significantly remove dandruff in a week.
Alternatively, you can add 10 drops of lemongrass oil to your shampoo bottle and shake it well for proper mixing. Use it daily for faster results. Also, you can mix the oil with your conditioner and massage it on your hair and scalp.
- Hair Loss Treatment
To prevent hair loss and promote hair growth, add 3-4 drops of lemongrass oil to a bowl of coconut oil. Now apply this mixture throughout the length and massage it onto the scalp too. For best results, use this mixture every night before going to bed. Also, you can use this blended oil every alternative day for nourishing your hair from the roots.
- Home remedy for itchy scalp
For treating an inflamed and itchy scalp, make a blend of ½ cup of apple cider vinegar, a glass of purified water, and 3-4 drops of lemongrass oil. Rinse your hair using this mixture and allow it to stay on your hair for 10-15 minutes. Then wash off your hair with plain water.
Use this mixture twice a week for maximum benefits.
The anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of lemongrass oil help to treat scalp problems like psoriasis and fungal infections on the scalp.
- Lice Treatment
To get rid of lice from your hair, mix 2-3 drops of lemongrass oil with 3 tablespoons of olive oil (raw) and gently massage this mixture onto your hair and scalp. Wrap your head with a shower cap or towel and keep it for 15 minutes. Finally, you can wash it off with your shampoo.
- For shiny hair
To get silky, clean, and shiny hair, mix ½ teaspoon of lemongrass essential oil to a cup or 8 ounces of shampoo. Mix them together and pour them back into your shampoo bottle. Use this blend every time you wash your hair for shiny locks. Don’t forget to properly shake the bottle each time before use for even distribution of lemongrass oil into the shampoo.
Also, you can mix 2-3 drops of lemongrass oil to a tablespoon of coconut oil and massage it well on your hair. For best results, keep it overnight or at least for an hour before you wash it off.
Lemongrass oil is not only easy to make and store but also has many amazing benefits for your hair. Using the oil on a regular basis gives you healthy, shiny, and silky hair while promoting hair growth and reducing dandruff. So, give it a try to make this essential oil at home and reap out its amazing benefits.